Legouz de Gerland had been built during the sixteenth century by the family
Chissey-Varange, to which we owe the three
delightful little projecting towers or oriels which overlook the rue Liégeard.
In 1586, Guillaume Legouz became avocat
général to the parlement. He supported the league, but finally
had to accept Henry IV as king. His grandson, Pierre
Legouz-Morin, became the owner of this hotel. On 5 February 1672
he put in an application to the Chambre de Ville to bring forward the façade
of his house and also to construct a cabinet in the form of a corbel at the
extremity of the house.
Charles Legouz de Gerland made considerable additions to his house, building the spacious courtyard on the west side, towards the rue Vauban. With its elegant, arcaded hemicycle surmonted by a balustrade and urns and its handsome porte cochère, it set a new style which was to reach its zenith in the building of the Hotel Bouhier de Lantenay in the eighteenth century.