In 1460 Henry Chambellan married his neighbour and childhood friend, Alix Berbisey. The Chambellans lived in what is now the Maison Milsand in the rue des Forges. The house next door to this on the eastern side belonged to the Berbisey family and passed through Alix to the Chambellans. In 1491 Charles VIII conferred upon Henry Chambellan "les titres de noblesse" and he was able to put his coats of arms. Finally, on 5 June 1500, Henry Chambellan realized his life's ambition and took his seat in the Chambre des Comptes. He had become one of the ruling aristocracy of Dijon. He died three years later. The date of the ennoblement of the family is probably the date also of the reconstruction of their new house now known as the Hotel Chambellan.
The doorway which confronts
the visitor on entering the court -a lovely piece of Flamboyant architecture-
used to carry in the niches to right and left of the central arch miniature
statues of Henry Chambellan's benefactor Charles VIII and his queen,
Anne de Bretagne.